February 13, 2011
Christmas, New Years and lots of snow have passed and our thoughts now turn to warmer weather, spring flowers, the Master Golf Tournament and the Banks Family Reunion. This year it will be in Elberton, Georgia in June.
Before we talk about the upcoming reunion I need to tell you about last September. We had for the first time, as a family, a reunion in Banks County, Georgia. The county is named for Dr Richard Banks, the 4th son of Ralph and Rachel of Elbert County. On Friday night we were invited to Athens, GA to the home of Peggy and Denny Galis. Over 50 cousins were entertained with a social hour and catered dinner. Their home is located in the Athens Historic District next to the campus of the University of Georgia. This beautiful home was built before the civil war and it was a treat to see all of Peggy and Denny’s antiques and hear about the history of their home. Thank you for a great evening and your part in making this a very special reunion.
On Saturday morning we had 15 more cousins join us in Homer, Georgia at the Banks County Courthouse and Museum. At our family meeting 3 local historians shared with us the history of Banks County and its citizens. Ed Jackson made a presentation which showed us the maps of early Georgia and how Banks County came into being. The morning passed much too fast and before we knew it, it was time for lunch. After having a barbecue and all the trimmings, it was time for everyone to head their separate ways.
We would like to thank Tara Fulcher, the Executive Director for the Banks County Chamber of Commerce for her assistance in helping to make this reunion possible.
Now to discuss our upcoming reunion in Elberton. Our Biennial Reunion of 2011 will be held in Elberton, Georgia on Friday, June 10 and Saturday, June 11. We will meet at 6:00 p.m. on Friday evening at McIntosh Coffee Shoppe for a social hour and buffet dinner. On Saturday morning, June 11, we will convene for our reunion meeting at Coldwater United Methodist Church. We have several items that will be discussed including the following:
1. Status of the 4th Edition of the Banks of Elbert I believe the target date is 2015.
2. The site for next year’s “Little Reunion”.
3. Election of officers for the next 2 year term. It has been a pleasure to serve for the past few years but it’s now time for new and younger cousins to assume the leadership roles. Please give this serious thought.
4. Association Expenses and Dues
Following the meeting, we will have a buffet lunch in the social hall prepared by the ladies of the congregation. This is a special treat that we always look forward to.
After lunch, Mark and Suzanne Bryant, the new owners of Coldwater Plantation, have invited us to visit the house built in the late 1780’s where Ralph and Rachel Banks raised their extensive family. On the grounds are several family graves and also a slave cemetery with many unmarked graves. We are grateful to the Bryants for allowing us to revisit where our ancestors settled almost 225 years ago.
Other items that need to be covered are;
1. Our treasurer has asked me to remind you that if you have not paid your annual dues of $10.00 per family, he will be glad to accept your payment. His address is H. Banks Edwards, Jr., 500 Woodbine Drive, Pensacola, FL 32503.
2. For those staying in Elberton, the Days Inn Motel is holding several rooms for the Banks family. If you want to stay there, the rate is $60.00 plus tax and you need to call as soon as you can for reservations. The address is: Days Inn, 302 Elbert Street, Elberton, Georgia 30635. Telephone: (706) 283-2300. This is where Norma and I will be staying.
Other motels in Elberton are:
Econo Lodge 970 Elbert Street (706) 283-8811
Budget Inn 927 Elbert Street (706) 283-0100
Day-Nite 925 Elbert Street (706) 283-4221
3. We need to know how many of you plan to attend this year’s reunion. Please fill out the enclosed information form and mail it to: George Banks, 106 Shannon Drive, Spartanburg, SC 29301. We need this information by May 27 so we can give the caterer and the ladies of the church an approximate attendance number. If you have any question, call me at (864) 574-0190
Since school will be out in most places, bring your children and grandchildren and come spend a great couple of days with a bunch of cousins-introduce them to their heritage. We have a great family and our ancestors have been in this great country for over 300 years.
Look forward to seeing you in Elberton of June 10 and 11.
Reunion Attendance Form